- Ph.D., 1997, Michigan State University, USA (theoretical nuclear physics, adviser Prof. Wolfgang Bauer)
- Diplom-Physiker (M.Sc.), 1993, Universität Hannover, Germany (theoretical nuclear physics)
- since 2019: Director of
Educational Development and Technology,
Directing the administrative department Educational Development and Technology (50 staff members plus 10 teaching specialists within subject departments): faculty development, curriculum development, innovation in teaching, teaching evaluations, technology support, online systems, MOOCs, and online exams. Reporting to Rector of ETH.
since 2010: Associate Professor of Physics (currently on leave),
Michigan State University
Teaching introductory physics courses and senior seminars, research in physics education and use of technology in STEM education, assessment, educational data mining, and learning analytics. Directing LON-CAPA course and learning content management project.
since 2004: Co-Founder and Technology Officer,
Commercial spin-off of National Science Foundation grant on learning content management; hosting LON-CAPA for high schools, colleges, and universities.
- 2015-2017: Vice President, CourseWeaver Corp.
- 2013-2015: Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer, CourseWeaver Corp.
- Summer 2013: Guest Professor, Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Acad. Year 2011/12: Sabbatical: Visiting Associate Professor of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Summer 2006: Guest Professor, FernUniversität in Hagen, Germany
- 2004-2010: Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
- 1997-2011: Director of Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education, Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University
- 1996: Intern, Cable News Network (CNN), Atlanta
- 1993-1997: Research Assistant, National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, Michigan State University